Friday, July 30, 2010

I Almost Cried, "Almost"

Okay, so ya, I believe the title speaks for itself. Now, one may wonder... "Why?"

I've always been a tough-natured kid. Whether it be running a ridiculous workout (I was going to post about one workout in particular, but I decided to go with this one. I'll get to the other one in the near future), putting in 140 mile weeks, and at times, much more. Hell... I've even eaten broccoli... once.

As I've discussed in my previous post, I've been injured. Call it bad luck, or perhaps a fate to which will make me stronger in the long run... "I do not know."

So, I've been trying 'things' to get healthy as quick as possible and decrease my prescription of, "Two months totally off," says the Doc. I've been to two physicians, a couple chiropractors... I have tried everything!

Just recently, out of the blue... A 'nice' friend of mine knows 'a place'. He suggested I give it a try... (with a 'sly' smile), a physical therapy place. This place has also used by the runners Ryan Hall (2008 Olympic Marathon Trials champ), Meb Keflezighi (Olympic 2004  Marathon silver medalist). I've been through a little physical therapy in my life, "No sweat." A little stretching, throwing around a ball, and perhaps, a few jokes about what happened in our daily lives.

Me: "So at work today, a bunch of squirrels took my cookies."

Former therapist: "Dude, I'm having a hard time believeing that."

Me: "I'm telling you, THEY DID!"

Former therapist: "Says the kid who believes squirrels are on top of the food chain."

ME: "THEY ARE." Proof-  www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWeldHtJgI&feature=related  (viewer discretion advised)


Back to the matter at hand:

As I make my call to schedule my appointment,

Me: "Hey, I hear you guys are good, can I get an appointment?"

--"Haha... Yes sir, you can. What time works for you?"

Me: "When's your earliest opening?"

--"Ive got an opening tomorrow at 5?"

Me: "Great, I'll see you then!"

As the next day comes about, with a slight hitch in my stride (thank you busted hip flexor and now IT band problems), I made the drive over to my appointment. Which is in the great city of Boulder... Yes, I gave you my location, live it up, this will be the only time.

Once I found the place, to my surprise, it didn't have flashing signs, people sprinting in and out. It just was a simple little office on the 2nd floor on top of a running store. "Huh."

As I walk up the stairs, opening the office door and greeted with a smile and the words, "Hi! You must be Clay."

My thoughts, "Wow, that's impressive! They know my name!"

My physical therapist was a very nice girl, who was also a runner herself, a good one too!

So, after some joking around, and describing the injury. I'm good to get my injury worked on.

I get stretched out for several minutes.... "Hey, this isn't too bad!"

(This part of the appointment spans over the next 45 minutes)

"Okay Clay this is giong to be 'uncomfortable'. So just let me know if you need a break when I'm working on your leg. The muscles that are damaged are beneath other muscles. So, it's going to be a deep tissue massage. It can be a sensitive area for whoever's being worked on, just letting you know."

With a smile, I say "Ya, no problem at all"  (Pfff, like 'I' would need a break)

Keep in my mind, my hip and IT BAND area were damaged and sore at this time. That being said, with all her force and weight... 'digging' in... I 'INSTANTLY', went into a unbelievable shock of pain. "BABY JESUS, HELP ME".

Within seconds, I start breaking out in a sweat. Barely able to breathe....

Therapist: "Are you okay, Clay?"

At the time, having trouble to muster words, "Ye...ah"... 'I wasn't.'

As the laws of physics are being defied by the appointment, in which, time is standing still. I swear at one point I saw the clock go backwards! I SWEAR!

As the treatment goes on, and the continued digging into my hip area proceeds, which by the way is being ripped apart... I begin to remember all the good things in life. That did NOT include 'this'.

As the almost insurmountable pain goes on, drenched in sweat, fists clinched, "Clay, do you need a drink of water?"

Me: "I... I... I'm good." (There goes my ego talking again...Man.. I hate that guy!)

Perhaps trying to make me feel better, perhaps b/c it looked like I was dying... My therapist says, "They say with this type of therapy and how sensitive it is, it's worse than child birth."

On a side note: "Thank God, I don't have child bearing hips, WHEW!"


After what seemed like forever, the appointment is done. I'm laying there, all self-respect lost, soaked in my own sweat... "Oh, ya, I can breathe now."

Me: "Wow, that was... to put it simply, miserably painful."

Therapist: "Ya, we are completely different from most physical therapy places. We're very hands on. Okay, treatment two."

Me: "Ugh... Treatment... TWO!?"

Therapist: "Clay, how do you feel about needles?"

Me: "Nee... nee... Needles?!"

Therapist: "Okay, what we're going to do next is acupuncture."

With no time at all, needles are being inserted 3 plus inches deep. My body is beginning to rebel perhaps because it's 'literally' being stabbed. As my therapist continues to open another pack of needles, one after another... and another... Sticking each needle in with ease, to which my muscles pull and contract in anger, as if my muscles were saying, "What did we do to you!? Why Clay, WHY!?"

After being 'stabbed' numerous times, my therapist leaves them in and says,  "I'll be right back, they need to stay in there for just a bit."

My thoughts: "A BIT?!"

As I lay there, looking to the side to witness the damage, "Wow, I can count over 20 needles jabbed in my right leg."

A little later, she takes them out and of course, my legs/muscles start to contract and pull in a painful motion... "GREAT!"

Then, as I'm lying there, a few patches that are hooked up to wires are then placed on my leg. A machine is then turned on sending strong electrical currents throughtout the whole leg. This is known as Stem therapy (I think), as my leg experiences an overwhelmingly powerful tingling feeling, to which, travels through my body for the next 20 minutes...

AND THEN...

I am finished. This... 'This' is where I almost cried, "I was happy."

As everything is being wrapped up, "So, when would you like to have your follow-up appointment?"

My thoughts, "Pssshhh... Like I'm going through this again!"

Then these words come out of my mouth, "Next wednesday at 5 works for me." My thoughts upon saying that, "Who is that guy! I certainly would not have said it... after all that!"

Therapist: "Wednesday it is."

My thoughts: " :( "

That being said, as I headed out... "Wow, I got some mobility back in my leg... did that really work?!"

I may be jumping the gun, and perhaps, it's hard to say, because I've been out almost two weeks and have not come close to being able to run... "I think I can run tomorrow." This would have been unbelievable just a few hours ago...

Stay tuned to see if this crazy therapy worked!

Also: Some people have been requesting my training to be a little more 'specific'. So...

The last 6 days have consisted of 2 plus hours of aqua jogging and biking (last two days have been all aqua jogging in which, I do hard intervals in aqua jogging... getting my heart rate even past 180 in the workout on intervals). "All Day, Every Day"

Through and through keep in mind, my primary goal is to get a Marathon Trials qualifier out of the way by next March. (Trials marathon is held January 2012 in Houston)... Another Day, Another (Aqua) Mile

Also: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCFn55Zxkc&feature=related  < click

-clay j mayes the 3rd

3 comments:

  1. stories like that are part of the reason i've decided to never ever get injured again.

    ReplyDelete