Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Watch it Purple!"

This post will be the second edition of, "Everybody has a Story", which the first edition of this story can be found here: www.miletomile.blogspot.com/2010/07/everyone-has-story.html (or scroll down the blog).


Now, I know what you're thinking... "WATCH IT... PURPLE?!... HUH?!"... And yes, if you want to know the meaning behind this phrase, I can certainly tell you. Obviously, I tend to expound, so let me start from the beginning.

When two people love each other... (STOP!!! *clears throat*... Let's fast forward a bit more).


CUE MUSIC!!! PLEASE RIGHT CLICK LINK (ADD AN EXTRA TAB) AND ADD THIS NECESSARY BACKGROUND MUSIC FOR SCHWABBY'S START IN RUNNING... IT'S MANDATORY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWR0k_R6XDE

It was the year 1996 and a young man by the name, "Schwabby" was competing in his local "Elementary Mile." Basically, all the Elementary classes joined together in the school he attended. The statistics to this duel included, "Let's see who can ran the fastest mile amongst all the Elementary classes." Schwabby stood 4 foot nothing stature, sportiing a crew hair cut, and grew up on the west-side of the state (important fact to remember), and it is also important to note, Schwabby had a heart twice the size of the normal 'full' grown man. To this very day, I cannot figure out if this is just an urban legend, or fact. Regardless, Schwabby was full of positive energy and was up to any challenge that he encountered. Fun fact of the day!... Schwabby's fellow childhood heroes include Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong, and K.W.'s mom! She was smoking (8.8 out of 10)!

What sparked his interest in running?- During his 3rd grade year, Schwabby got 2nd place in his annual school's 1 mile race that was amongst all the middle schoolers. Many people are content with 2nd. Hell! Many people just want a ribbon. Honestly, if you"ve seen the movie Ricky Bobby, the phrase, "If you're not first, you're last," did not actually come from Ricky Bobby's dad. It actually came from Schwabby as he was leaving the meet when he came in 2nd... Ricky Bobby's dad overheard it, and that bastar... I mean, "jerk"... took it as his own! The nerve!

After his 2nd place showing, Schwabby went into "training mode". With the help of his dad, also a former 'great' runner himself back in the day, they measured off 'just' a quarter mile loop in a local park behind his house. Everyday he ran that same loop running anywhere from 3-5 miles. His only days off included the day before and after road races. The most remarkable thing about this was not his consistency, but what he did during his runs. "What?" You may ask... Honestly, I'm just going to cut to the chase, 'Schwabby sang the National Anthem' as he ran... over and over again, loop after loop, mile after mile, day after day during each of his runs. For whatever reason, I do not know for sure, but damn, he was one patriotic kid! (God Bless America!).

One year of training later, "It was time."

The big day had come for Schwabby as he toed the line for the annual mile race amongst all the elementary kids of his school. With a heart twice the size of a normal person, as stated earlier, and the determination of a Samurai... yes, a DAMN SAMURAI! Schwabby took out for the lead from the gun and did not relent. As each lap passed, his lead grew. By the 4th and final lap, there would be no question of who was your, "Elementaaaaary Miiiiiile Chaaampiiiiiiioon of the Year!" As legend would have it, Schwabby crossed the line 'popping champagne. 'Yes, I know what you're thinking....

"What a badass!"

"Wait, that's not what you were thinking?"...

"Me?! Actually, I don't find it weird a 4th grader was popping champagne."

"Where do I think he got champagne during his race?!"

"Dude, beats me, I think the more important thing here is he 'looked pretty dang cool' doing it!!!"

After his race, Schwabby did not relent. Year after year, he would run that same 1/4 mile loop just behind his house. Some days it was covered in ice and snow, other times, the temps would be soaring above 100 F, by all means, he was consistent.
______

Nike Outdoor Nationals:

The day was June 14th, 2006 and today was the day. Schwabby and me went to the track together, as we were staying at the same hotel. We proceeded to start our warm-up for the Nike Outdoor Nationals 5000 meter in the town of Greensboro, North Carolina, I, for one, had many racing thoughts.



As we trotted along, there was a sense of nervousness that could be felt amongst the whole stadium, from the athletes, to the parents, to the spectators, and even the nearby public wondering what the heck was causing all the commotion!? As we trotted along in our warm-up, there was light chit chat:


Schwabby: "1-10, Blonde 40 meters to the left!?"

Me: "Hmmm, 8.2"

Schwabby: Krispy Kreme donuts, or Dunkin Donuts.

Me: "Uhg... KRISPY KREME!"

Me: "If you put a chameleon in a room full of mirrors, what color would it change?" "Does a postman deliver his own mail?"


Schwabby: "Green"... "Only on Tuesdays!"

But for the most part, not much was said...
_____

Cue music (right click and add as a new tab.. THANK YOU, and have a good day :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWmnhOIW0k


As for my current childhood where-a-bouts as a young kid, I was playing soccer on the EAST-SIDE of the state (important to note). I was playing (hustling) Rogers/Mayes county soccer league. I was a 'professional'. "You think I'm kidding?!". I kid you not. I always, and I mean ALWAYS, got paid with sour straws and the soda pop of my choice after each game. That was my rate, I was livin' life, let me tell you. I was a ball of energy on fields, commonly referred to as "The Energizer Bunny." I held league records of 21 goals in 10 games, and according to urban legend, that record still stands, but more interestingly...

I was notorious for playing too rough, yet, I was smaller than everyone on the field..."go figure". Known for this already, a fellow parent on our soccer team took me aside right before the start of the first indoor soccer game of the season, which is in an enclosed area. Basically, the ball could not go out of bounds because you could play the ball off of the walls and he said, "Mud (that's what people called me) this is exactly like hockey, you can play as aggressive as you want... you know.. body check people into walls." Till this day, I do not know what I replied with back, but what I do know is I went onto that indoor soccer field with a crazed look in my eyes. Athletes from other teams actually started to avoid me after several bouts and after several other occasions where I actually checked them into the walls, as we (soccer players) were going for the ball.... Looking back after all these years... and remembering the pain I caused (bringing a few kids to tears), alls I can say is, "My Bad."
______


Nike Outdoor Nationals:

As the race was drawing closer, the announcer was there to let us know,





"15 MINUTES TILL RACE TIME!"

 
"14 MINUTES TILL RACE TIME!"


 "12 MINUTES TILL THE MEN'S 5000 METER!"


"PLEASE BE SURE TO BUY A POPCORN AND A POP FOR ONLY 2 DOLLARS!"


"11 MINUTES TILL THE NIKE OUTDOOR MEN'S 5000 METER RUN!"

 
"WHY AM I YELLING!? WERE AM I?!"


As Schwabby and me split off in different directions to do our strides, we went into our own little world. Up-to-date, this was our biggest race we've ever done. I believe my time ranked low 20's some place overall, as Schwabby was ranked somewhere between 4th-6th overall. As we each did our light sprints in various locations, the tension was building, as the heart began to race, adrenaline pumping to such an extent, that it could be felt on the tips of one's fingers, it was easy to say, "All or nothing at the point".

_______

After a several year stunt playing professional soccer, I started to try out other sports... wrestling, football, baseball, and of course, basketball. I picked up running a bit here and there, 'for fun'. But it was not until 7th grade, that I would meet this "Schwabby". It was the Field of Dreams 5k in Tulsa (East-side)... "My hood".

Toeing the line in b-ball shorts, shoes ripped at the toe box, and in a soccer t-shirt, I had all intentions of winning my age group... 'off of talent'. Well, 'he' was there too... "Schwabby". As I walked over to the start, I was baffled. He was doing sprints... What in the world?! 50 yard sprint... 'stop', repeat... again and again!' It would not be till months later, that I would learn this is what runner's call, "Strides".

When the gun went off, I swear Schwabby dropped a sub 4 mile, okay, more like 4.05. When it was all said and done, he rolled an 18.18, as I crawled across the line in 20.22. Afterwards, "I wanted to know THE secret". Approaching him and asking, what he ran daily and to my surprise, he just smiled back and said, "I just run". As simple as it was, that's was what he did. To me, I wanted to know the tricks of the trade, the 'set' plan to success! Obviously and to what I would later figure out, running is completely based off consistency. It's something you have to routinely do, day after day, when it's dark, when it's hot, when it's cold, when it's raining, snowing, one has to do it consistently. That is what I did NOT have.

Then I started 'training'! Day after day, I would race my dad out on the country back roads. Typically, I went two miles further, as he would do a 4.67 mile run, as I did 6.67. He ran a 23 minute in the 5k, verse my 20 minute 5k. Honestly, I would tear myself apart day after day, ensuring I would beat him. Sometimes it would come down to the driveway (which is 150 meters long), sometimes I would get him a half mile out. It was after weeks, months, and then on, that I started to improve. Several months later, Schwabby and me would meet again....

During which time, Schwabby ran day in and day out, and yep, you guessed it, singing the national anthem on his runs, "OH SAY CAN YOU SEEEEEE...". Also druing this time, he would be scanning the local Oklahoma Runner Magazine with his dad, "Hey there's a night race in Tulsa! The MDA 5k run!"

As I saw the race myself, "I'm game!"

________

Nike Outdoor Nationals:

As runners are, they are competitive. This can concern anyone... ANYONE. Whether that be cross town rivalries, friends, and even family. It's just the nature to competiting when you're at such a high level of training and striving to a goal you've prepared for years. As it is known, I was relatively an underdog versus Schwabby, and for good reason! Small school vs Big school kid, 29 (okay, I think it was 11, 7 individually) time state champ verse 1 time state champ (I was excellent and notorious for choking), and so and so on.

 
"ALL 5000 METER RUNNERS, REPORT TO THE STARTING GATE!"

Cue music (right click and add as an extra tab): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWmnhOIW0k

As the time was now, there was no looking back. In a white Jenks America jersey, sporting a blue wristband, a watch, and let's not forget... blue HOTWHEEL SUNGLASSES, I was ready.




Schwabby in a Red jersey saying, "OKLAHOMA" across the front, appeared to be primed and ready to go. As each runner toed the line, jam packed, each guy vollying for a spot, there was a sense of serial quiteness, as all runners awaited the gun. The stadium was lit up to the max, as it was complete nightfall, yet, inside the stadium it appeared to be true as day.

Within one split second, the starter proceeds to raise the starting gun, to which, was pointing straight to the heavens.

"BANG!"

________

(Schwabby located far left, blonde hair, 9th grade at this time, in which, he grew literally a foot one year later)


That night of the MDA run could not have came soon enough, as it was a hot and humid night in June. After a righteous 3 minute jog warm-up... I was ready. I walk over to the line, "HE'S... HE'S HERE!... Looks like he grew half an inch too!"

Now, let me tell you the facts so far. I went from a 20.xx 5k guy to a pr (personal record) of 18.04 in the 5k at this time. This next part may sound hard to believe, but true none the less, Schwabby at this time, 'also' had a pr of 18.04 in the 5k. I figured, I would have the element of surpise and catch him off guard by my new found fitness...

To what I later found out, Schwabby knew my current 5k pr, as well as, the weather I set it in, and the place I set it at. Turns out, Schwabby read the 'Oklahoma Runner Magazine' too...

________

Nike Outdoor Nationals:

As a slight panic was put forth amonst the field of 29 runners, EVERYONE was battling for positioning. The kid that lined up to the right of me, sporting 'purple shorts' proceeded to throw an elbow across my chest. My thoughts, "You will later pay for that, 'Purple!'" "YOU WILL PAY!!!"

I quickly tucked in and was positioned mid pack amongst the field. Schwabby positioned just a couple spots back on the outside of lane 1/inside of lane 2. Electricity coursing the the air, screaming to the right, screaming to the left, it was an enviroment that could not be matched anywhere else.
As we came through the first lap, hearing the officials shout, "72!!!" The pace was right on. Currently, not even feeling like we were running, I did what I could in staying relexed and zoned out... And at this time, was ahead of Kevo... a rare occurance. As each lap went by, "72!"... "73!"... "72!!", we came through the first mile in 4.50. All the runners bunched in together, it finally began to open up. As the defeated began to fall off the back, one by one, there was one less guy that needed to be dealt with. "Survival of the Fittest".

________
The gun goes off, and this time, it would be 'different'. Taking a commanding lead over "Schwabby", as he just... 'chilled'. I continued to push forward, flying throgh the first K in 3.25 (17.05 5k pace, as I only had a pr of 18.04 at the time). I continued to push hard and not relent. By the mile marker, "I felt it". Not giving in, I did not relent, but I knew... I knew 'he' was coming. By 3k and starting to foam at the mouth, Schwabby pulls up beside me. At this point, I did not know he knew anything about me other than, "The slow kid that asked him 307 questions at the Field of Dreams 5k". Schwabby could have just passed me without saying a word, could've gave me the stare down, could have talked smack, heck... he could've threw in a surge to really show 'who was boss'!. To what happened next, caught me off guard. With an overwhelming sense of peppiness, he says, "LET'S GO CLAY!"... first thought, "He knows my name?". "COME-ON BUDDY... LET'S RUN FAST!"

As many would hope of a comradery to form with us sprinting in together, it was not so. As he began to pull away, I was 'maxed' out and could not go with him. As we came upon the last 400 meters, his dad, to which, also knew my name, "GET UP THERE... HELP PUSH HIM!!! MAKE HIM WORK FOR IT! LET'S GO CLAY!!!"

After it was all done and said, I ran 18.17 and as for my new found rival... 18.04, I kid you not. After it was all said and done, Schwabby's dad was gracious enough to come talk to me about running and give me a few pointers. By all means, he genuinely seemed interested in helping me along in my running career and as well, an all around good guy... GREAT GUY!

As the years passed, I improved, but by very little in comparison to my rival. Schwabby thrived and even was being referred to as the "Next Dathan Ritzenhein" (Former American Record holder in the 5k) as he was known amongst many runners in the state. HECK!... Schwabby was so popular he once went into Burger King and ordered a Big Mac... And GOT ONE!

We met a handful of times after the MDA run, only once cathcing him off guard before his substantial improvement. It was not until my last cross country race of my senior year, "The Oklahoma vs Arkansas Dual Meet", that there was a new found motivation in my running to put forth some sort of challenge. It was here that it became evident how dominant Schwabb was. Winning by an astonishing 2x some seconds and hearing people off the sidelines yell, "THAT'S SCHWABBY!"... I could not help but feel proud of this kid. Remembering his early days, and my early days as he was always positive, even though I currently just got CRUSHED. It did not bother me. I was happy for him. HELL... Schwabby even ignored some people and went out of his way to come over and talk to me about the race and everything as I layed sprawled out in exhaustion after the race.

Then, 'it happened'. Just as I was getting ready to head out, a random girl from the girls race comes up to me, "CAN I GET A PICTURE WITH YOU!?"... My response, "Uhg.. You sure you want one?" As the young girl was chirping away to her mom, "This... THIS IS THE KID! (Also, mentioning national rankings, to which, I could not fully understand what she was saying).

After getting hustled into taking a picture, it was not only till a few minutes later... that I realized..

My thoughts... "NO... NO, IT CAN'T BE!? SHE DID!!! SHE THOUGHT I WAS HIM! SCHWABBY!"
*MOTIVATION BACK*... CHECK

That winter, I bumped up my miles to 80 mpw, did the 12x400 meter workout and added 4 each week, up them till I hit 40 of them. I was focused and determined. A couple months later, quickly throwing down a huge pr in late January, an 8.51 3k (9.25-927 3200m equivalent), and to the extent, some Oklahoman's were proclaiming the track "had to be" short. It wasn't. Now holding the fastest time in the state for the next few months to come, I would not go out without a fight. By mid-track season, it becomes evident that Schwabby responds, running 9.22 alone (keep in mind, it's very hard to run fast in Oklahoma. It can be really windy, no competition, and so forth), and apparently, the kid popped two champagne bottles at the finish line this time. My thoughts, "Damn." AND "Impressive".

So, I continued to train. I won state and did not settle there, and I made sure to win every race I entered, aside from losing one 1600m race, to which, was b/c I got caught on the railing and went down towards the end of the race... with that loss, I still won 23 out 24 of my senior year track season races, (12 for 12 at the 3200m distance). Although, I never ran against "Schwabby" that track season, because we were different class sizes, him being 5A, the largest, and me being 3A. BUT... I did have one trick up my sleeve. I knew Schwabby was running at The Nike Outdoor Nationals 5000m this year in mid-June. As I was also competiting in....

_____

Nike Outdoor Nationals 5000m:
8 laps and still a couple strides ahead of Schwabby, there was a push made by one of the runners. This is where the field began to break up into just two handful of runners, as everyone was trying to cover the move. Falling back to 10th place sitting just behind the front pack, which now consisted of

Schwabby. As I was now just a few strides behind him as the racing was coming to a close, "There was my chance to get him, after all these years of being so far behind him. I was now within striking distance". As fate would have it, nothing goes as planned. As Schwabby was striding along, there was that one damn kid... the kid wearing purple shorts. Who proceeded to cut him off. To me, and certainly to Schwabby, it appeared to be intentional.

As I witnessed 'Purple', proceed to make it so obvious that he was doing it on purpuse and causing Schwabby to break stride and then in one instance, almost fall. I was overwhelmed with what was happening. It was then, that I knew how much I respected Schwabby, as my adrenline began to pump, I could not control what I said next, "WATCH IT, PURPLE!!!" Somewhat in shock, the kid immediately quit causing problems, and for whatever reason, fell off the pace.

As the closing laps were passing, Schwabby made a push to volly for the win, coming up just short with a 2nd place finish and earning himself a new pr in addition and the fastest 5000m run by any Oklahoman high schooler up to date! As I finished up at 6th place finish with new pr from 15.53 to 15.11... only a 42 second pr.

Overall, race could not have gone better! Top 6 was All-American, and only the state of Oklahoma had two kids earn All-American honors!

______
The race was over, but was just the beginning. As Schwabby and me had a more thorough respect for each other. We each continued to train hard and help each other with running and whatever life brought. It would be a few years later, after a long and drawn out story (Another Day, Another Story), that we are now 'currently' teammates.  To get a true definition of teammates, one must view this video... to see how squirrels join together as packs, families, to defend one another from outside predators: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZp_nX3g9Ec&feature=related


Schwabby currently holds the Oklahoma high school state record in the 3200m and 5000m, as well as, earning All-conference 3 times in the Big 12. And recently placing very well amongst the top collegiates in the nation in the most recent NCAA 10000 meter up in Oregon.

-clay j. mayes the 3rd

2 comments:

  1. It's getting good, Clay. The writing is improved. You made me feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Derek!

    keep me updated on your thoughts and critique!

    Much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete